Monday 21 February 2011

It’s my party and I’ll cry if I want to...

Not really, no tears here. Had a very relaxed birthday which centred mostly on food.

I spent my friday roaming the streets of Fitzroy looking for something lovely to treat myself. It wasn’t hard to find lovely things as there were many but it very hard to choose, I stumbled into a fabric shop which will have to be revisited once I need some fabric, several gift shops with cute stuff and home wares, I returned home with some decorative papers which will be used at some point in a crafty way.

In the evening we had dinner at The Graham, I enjoyed a sesame spinach and enoki mushroom rice noodle roll with a hot broth to start, while Andy had a pork ballontine with a shallot puree. For main, I had Pan fried herb gnocchi with green veg and a cheesy sauce, while Andy enjoyed a chicken kiev with braised leeks, all very yum. We shared a chocolate mud cake with red fruit for pudding, along with a couple of delicious glasses of wine.


I had been waiting for the Gasworks Farmers Market for quite a while, after having read about it in a foodie book and missing the market last time it was on I was keen to make sure we went. It happens once a month on a Saturday, opening at 8am until 1pm, so we woke early (for a weekend) packed our bags (although we should have taken more or a trolley) and headed out. The market takes place in a park, stalls are all around the space many filled with fruit and vegetables, and the food is fantastic, next time I would get breakfast there as there are several cooked food options to enjoy.

We decided to buy anything we liked and then put together meals afterwards ‘ready steady cook’ style. Purchases included potatoes (from the potato stall), mushrooms (from the mushroom stall), parsnips, leeks, corn, peppers, rhubarb, apples (from many different fruit and veg stalls), watercress (from the herb stall), sausages (from the meat stall), etc... We decided we would have a roast, mushroom risotto and a BBQ from our harvest, along with apple and rhubarb crumble and a cake.



So there was some cooking (and eating) in the afternoon!

The market is a must, 5 Stacey stars (take a trolley).

No comments:

Post a Comment