Thursday 16 December 2010

The National Gallery of Victoria

I had forgotten about this little treasure, it was only around the corner from the hotel (by that I mean up and down a couple of flights of stairs and then a 5 minute walk), but it involved walking away from the CBD, which is the opposite of my usual direction and therefore had not been in my line of sight to remind me. The gallery is a large rectangular building with an archway entrance. The entrance has a wall of water which constantly flows down (you don’t have to walk through it but enter round the side).


It was a little confusing when I first entered, as I was confronted by a giant 20 foot inflatable rabbit (which I found out later was part of an exhibition). The escalators are not easily visible as you enter, and the only exhibition room in sight cost $15. However after retrieving a brochure complete with map, I managed to work out that the majority of the gallery and the free exhibitions were on the 1st and 2nd floors and by following random strangers I located the escalator going up.





Several parts of the gallery were closed as there were new exhibitions being set-up. However there was plenty left, and I spent approx 3 hours making my way around what was available to view. The guards/curators (?) were very knowledgeable, helpful and chatty; they explained that the new exhibitions would be ready by April (so a second visit may be on the cards).

Starting on the 1st floor, I headed towards European Art, this gallery winds its way up, there is a mezzanine floor between the 1st and 2nd floor where I was intercepted by 2 of the guard/curators, one of which explained the terror of people sitting on the exhibitions (chairs were part of this exhibition and there are no ropes or barriers between you and any of the art).


The other guard chose to show me an example of poor art work, where the artist had painted a right foot on a left leg, another couple close by were quick to come to the artists defence explaining that this painting was left unfinished, I think I know why...



The Gallery then continues on the 2nd floor with more European art (all the Australian art is housed in another building in Fed Square), there is some fabulous silverware and glassware on this level. Level 3 contained 20th century art and some more modern exhibitions.
I am not known for reading the information at museums, but this time I made a concerted effort (at least at the start). I was interested to find out the in the 15th and 16th Century a movement was followed (initiated by Lucus Cranach the Elder 1472-1553) to ensure that there was no flattery of the sitter in portraits (so probably important not to annoy the artist).

So you are now all on the edge of your seats...the score for the National Gallery of Victoria...
4 Stacey Stars (withholding one star due to the closed exhibitions, a rescoring will take place once I have seen the whole thing).

Since viewing the National Gallery, I have been to the Ian Potter Gallery which is the continuation of the National Gallery in Fed Square and which houses the Australian art exhibitions. Again it is generally free, has large exhibition spaces and plenty of art.

No comments:

Post a Comment