Thursday 27 January 2011

Melbourne Museum - a little late

Melbourne Museum

So after returning from Sydney, Andy was sent back by work to count some boxes or something similar. So it was just me and the city, another part needed exploring and this time it was the Melbourne Museum.

I packed my bag, taking supplies for the long journey (bottle of water, chewy bar and umbrella), the weather was unsettled (it mostly rained while I was outside). Having carefully packed my bag it was not until I had arrived that I noticed the absence of a camera (mobile phone was substituted, apologies for picture quality).The tram journey was uneventful and after a short stroll from the tram stop I was in the queue for the tickets (reasonably priced at $8). Armed with a map I marched forward into the first exhibition area – Forest. There was the added bonus that most people were going in the other directions.

I couldn’t complain about the cost to get in to the museum, but I might have moaned about all the kids, but I really shouldn’t have gone during their summer holiday (I should really know better).

The museum got off to a good start with the forest gallery... it is actually part of a forest planted in the museum complete with large trees, stream, underground passageway, birds, etc... most impressive.

Phar Lap came next, he is the Australian wonder horse who won so many races, then mysteriously died (arsenic was found), he is now in the museum (stuffed). This was part of the gallery showing Melbourne’s history. The museum was very impressive, using combinations of lighting, videos, recreations of houses/shops, and touch-screens to create atmosphere and offer information.

The kids, from my observations one of the best bits of the museum for them was the ramp which connected two galleries... “Whee!” running down the ramp (didn’t do it myself so I can’t really comment). I enjoyed the Science and Life galleries myself, which had a 3D volcano video, gems and crystals, rocks to touch, touch-screens, buttons to press, wheels to turn (Darn, those pesky kids in my way!).


Then there were dinosaurs, mega fauna, bugs and insects (mostly pinned to boards) and other animals (mostly stuffed). I had reached my limit on dead animals by this point and headed off to the Mind and Body Gallery, which was a little disappointing after the exciting methods used in the previous galleries, also was slightly disturbed by some of the info given on old fashioned treatments, autopsy and dissection (I get a bit squeamish).

Having eaten my supplies and visited the shop (one half price calendar purchased), it was time to return home. The Melbourne Museum is worth 5 Stacey Stars (I think it is very good and I will probably go again when there are fewer kids, also it is quite a bargain price compared to some).

No comments:

Post a Comment